Friday 9 December 2011

Cloth Diapering in India

The debate between cloth and paper diapers continues. Meanwhile I have come to a simple arrangement, I use cloth diapers in the day and paper (disposables) diapers at the night :). There are many types of cloth diapers (called langots) available in India. These are some diapers that I tried out:

1) Basic Cotton Langot
This is a basic, extremely thin cotton langot which are used mostly for newborns. They are very airy and are most suitable for the hot Indian climate as they dry very fast. However, you end up soaking wet with these as these langots have no absorption whatsoever.

2) Slightly thicker Hosiery Langot

These are slightly thicker than the previous langots but again don't prevent leaks. Usually, I would keep a quick dry sheet under my baby to absorb the wetness.

3) Thick Cotton Langot
These are much better than the previous two. They absorb the wetness and prevents it from spreading on the sheets.

4) Smart Baby Flip Diapering system

These are a very recent find and they aren't available in any stores in India yet. They have to be ordered on line. I was so excited when I got these :) The Flip system has a one size outer cover and a one size insert. The inserts are suede on one side and terry on the other. So the suede side absorbs all the wetness but stays dry at the same time. This insert is to be placed in the outer cover (once you have adjusted the size according to your baby) and you are ready to go. I found that they work for me for at least 2hrs at a time, which is a big relief from having to change the cloth langots every 20 mins :D The only downside is that these are quite expensive. But since I started using them, I am even thinking of completely doing away with disposable diapers. 
The disposable diapers that I use are Pampers Active Baby Diapers. They last for 5-6 hrs easily.

A few people I know use disposable nappy pads inside the cloth langots. I am planning to try that out too and will keep you posted.

What type of diapers do you use? Do let me know.

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Where would it be possible to purchase the thick cotton langot that you have shown??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anupama, it is available at your local baby shops. I got these from a small babyshop in malad (mumbai).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used Teddyy Nappie pads for my lil one (in 2011), they were leak proof and lasted easily upto 2-4 hrs and most importantly didnt give my son a rash. Plus were much economical than a regular use of diapers. They are available at local baby shops + chemists, but i used to call their sales dept for a direct delivery to my doorstep at the wholesale price (much cheaper than the retail price)

    ReplyDelete